Burnout @ Corporate: When Trust Deficit Becomes the Real Workload
Thanks for the overwhelming response to my earlier article on Responsiveness. I hope you'll enjoy this one too.
An
employee-friendly manager once messaged his subordinate: "It's raining heavily
in Pune. Come to the office only if you need a job."
This
message went viral on WhatsApp last week.
A
friend of mine reacted strongly to it because it reminded him of an incident
with his manager at year-end.
"I
was about to resign in December 2025 when my boss rejected my Christmas leave,
saying, 'I'll be on leave that week, so you need to be here to handle office
affairs.'"
"Oh
really?" I reacted.
"Yeah,
I was shocked. I was about to reply, tumhaara khoon khoon aur hamaara khoon
paani, but I controlled myself."
"Good
that you showed composure."
"But
the incident burned me out. I hadn’t taken any casual leave throughout the
year, thinking I would take a vacation with my family at the end of the year.
But my boss had planned an overseas vacation, so he prioritised his holiday and
cancelled my leave."
“I
can understand,” I reciprocated.
“I
wanted to call him out on social media as a Toxic Boss, but I had no
offer in hand.”
“Hahaha.
You can do that on the last day of your job then.”
“Can’t
say that. But I was really frustrated then,” he expressed.
"Hmm.
But you need to understand that we work in an era where the only thing that
matters in the office is HIPPO."
"HIPPO?"
"Yes,
HIghest Paid Person's Opinion," I replied.
"I
agree."
My
response seemed to ease my friend's frustration, and he finally smiled.
Actually,
many professionals working in corporates have forgotten how to smile. They
often maintain a serious expression because they believe it makes them look
more professional and committed.
The
worst part is that people who pretend to be busy or serious are often perceived
as hardworking and dedicated. In contrast, employees who smile or maintain a
relaxed demeanour are frequently mistaken for being casual or less committed.
I
learned this from one of my seniors at a previous company. He once told me: "I
always thought Gogate was very committed. But after you left the organisation,
I realised that although you appeared cheerful and jovial, the amount of work
you handled was far greater than what Gogate actually did."
This
mindset is one of the reasons many employees experience burnout. Over time,
some develop unhealthy coping habits such as smoking or drinking, which can
eventually lead to health issues like high blood pressure and diabetes.
However,
managers also share some responsibility. Many bosses struggle to trust their
team members and end up micromanaging them.
I
remember one of my bosses at my first job, after finishing my MBA, made me
work for an entire month on the artwork for a single advertisement. In the era
of Gen AI, a similar task can be completed in two or three hours at most.
But
the fact is that getting work done through others is often more difficult than
doing it yourself. Even experienced leaders sometimes find it hard to trust
their subordinates. As a result, they overload them with unnecessary tasks.
When employees fail to see the value in those tasks, their motivation drops,
and eventually management starts considering replacing them. And that is a
direct pathway to employee burnout.
Recently, I observed a similar trait in one of my uncles, who is in his sixties. He accidentally locked himself inside my house while staying with us for a day. To help him, I threw the keys down from the terrace and asked one of our security guards to come up and unlock the door. Due to an issue with the lift, the guard took some time to reach our floor, which made my uncle anxious. Then, when the guard struggled to open the safety door, my uncle immediately concluded that another guard should be called. I had to step in and guide the guard properly on how to operate the European lock. Once he received the right instructions, he managed to open it. The incident taught me an important lesson:
Before
replacing an existing resource, we should ask ourselves whether we have
provided adequate training and support. Often, the gap does not lie in the employee's capability. It lies in the training, guidance, and environment
that we provide.
AMP: The Antidote to Burnout
We
need to understand that professionals are motivated by Autonomy, Mastery,
and Purpose (AMP)—not by micromanagement and a lack of trust.
- Autonomy: Employees thrive
when they are trusted to make decisions and manage their own work.
Constant interference signals distrust, which suffocates creativity and
initiative.
- Mastery: People want to
get better at what they do. When managers assign meaningless or repetitive
tasks, employees lose the chance to sharpen their skills, leading to
disengagement.
- Purpose: Work feels
fulfilling when employees see how their efforts contribute to a larger
mission. Without purpose, even high performers feel like they are running
on a treadmill—busy but going nowhere.
When
AMP is missing, employees often experience burnout. They feel drained
not because of the workload itself, but because of the trust deficit and
lack of meaningful engagement. Burnout manifests as emotional exhaustion,
cynicism, and reduced productivity. Over time, it can spill into personal life,
damaging health, relationships, and overall well-being.
If
you are facing burnout, try reframing your perspective:
- Seek clarity on
your role and its purpose.
- Invest in
skill-building to regain a sense of mastery.
- Negotiate for
autonomy in areas where you can take ownership.
And
if you'd like to discuss it further, feel free to reach out to me.


Comments