Mumkin nahi hai tujhko bhulana…

 

“Hello Ajay,” It was Veeru over the phone.

“Hello Veeru, how are you buddy?”

“I am fine Ajay. Sorry, I missed your call. Actually, we were celebrating Divya’s birthday in office…” Veeru took a pause.

“Hope you are free now,” Ajay tried to divert the topic from Divya, his ex-girlfriend.

“Yeah, I am free now.”

“Just wanted to know if you would be interested in coming to Hyderabad this weekend?”

“No yaar. This Sunday, we have a symposium and you know how irritating it is to organize these symposiums,” Veeru expressed.

“Yeah, I know. It was just that I am planning a short trip to Hyderabad for visiting a client, in case you are interested, we can catch up with Tarun.”

“Even I am also interested in meeting Tarun, but I can’t move out of office yaar. You know the situation here, after all you were also a part of this office sometime back.” Veeru advised.

“No worries. By the way, how are things at your end?”

“Things are fine here. What do you want to know in particular? About Divya??”

“No yaar. I am not talking about her. You know we are no more in a relationship.” Ajay clarified.

“I know that. And I also know that you still miss her. Maybe she also does.”

“See, I didn’t call you to enquire about Divya. I could also call her if I want to know about her.”

“But last time you said that she has blocked you, isn’t it?”

“Yes. She has blocked me over Facebook, Insta, WhatsApp everything, but...”

“But? But what Ajay?” Veeru turned inquisitive.

“But. She cannot block me from her memories.”

“Oh! So, you want her to sulk in your memory, is it?”

“Nope. But I also don’t want her to behave like a stranger to me. Everyone from my common friends is there in her social media friend list except me. Even that fucking Venkat who used to be my client is also her Facebook Friend, but she has blocked me.” Ajay became emotional.

“But there must be some reason for that. I mean, you would know it better.”

“Yeah. Yeah, I know everything.”

“But, if you want, I can wish her a happy birthday on your behalf,” Veeru suggested.

“Thanks for your kind gesture. But no thanks. If I feel, I would do it myself. Bye.”

“Bye,” Said Veeru and disconnected the call.

Ajay couldn’t stop thinking about Divya after that call and his mind started brooding about her memories.

Mumkin nahi hai tujhko bhulana…” He thought, as he entered his cubicle,Why a couple can’t just be friends after the break-up?”

‘Damn! I am not able to get over her memories and that bitch has blocked me everywhere…’ Ajay’s anger was evident from his expressions.

‘Ok. But I cannot let myself sulk for her,’ Ajay muttered while drinking a glass of water, ‘I will wish her today, even if that means going back the old way where we used to chat over SMS. Hope she hasn’t blocked me there.’ He speculated and started thinking about the message to be conveyed to Divya, on her birthday.

Dear Divya, Happy birthday’ He typed a SMS on his mobile.

‘Oops! I should not address her as dear…’ Ajay warned himself and erased the first two words in the text, “But a plain Happy birthday seems very dry and rude. She may take it otherwise.”

‘Shit! why am I thinking so much about her now?’ Ajay got upset and banged his phone on the desk.

Suddenly, his desk phone buzzed. It was Ajay’s boss on the line.

“Hello sir. Yeah, the Presentation is ready,” Ajay responded, “Yes sir, I would be right there with the presentation.”

‘Fuck man. Boss also wants this presentation right now..’ He grumbled and started typing on his laptop.

However, it was difficult for Ajay to concentrate on anything lest the presentation. So, he got up and grabbed his mobile to type,

Many many happy returns of the day J

He typed the SMS and just pressed the send button. After thinking for a moment, he remembered about his boss and got busy with the presentation. Soon his phone buzzed. It was the read receipt of his SMS.

‘Uhhh! So, she hasn’t blocked me over SMS.’ He looked at the mobile screen and smiled.

‘Let’s get back to work now,’ He said and walked towards his Boss’s cabin with the laptop.

Sometimes, it is just akin to the post-interview syndrome, where after your interview for the most coveted position is over, there is actually nothing in your stride. It’s all upto the interview panel and the company that is hiring. You can only give your best shot and be optimistic about the outcome. So, Ajay wished Divya a happy birthday without bothering about her response. But here that one SMS gave him a sense of achievement and peace of mind, in some way.

 

To read excerpts from the upcoming book by Atul R Thakare, Affairs @ Corporate, please visit affairsatcorporate.blogspot.com

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

आपको हमारी कसम लौट आईये.. (Aapko hamari kasam laut aayiye)

I am not a Bhakt, I am a Proud Hindu!

TamilNadu Express